Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Pentecost 6; Proper 7

It is reported that one day Abraham Lincoln went to a slave auction and noticed a young woman glaring at everyone with hate and contempt. When the bidding started, Lincoln offered a large sum and kept bidding until he won. After he paid the auctioneer and received her title, the young woman followed but looked at him with contempt.

The young slave asked Lincoln what he was going to do with her. He said, “I’m going to set you free.”

“Free? Free for what?” she asked.

“Just free. Completely free.” Lincoln replied.

“Free to do whatever I want to do?”

“Yes.”

“Free to say what I want to say and go where I want to go?”

“Yes.” Lincoln answered her flood of questions.

“Then,” she finally said, “I want to go with you.”

We are free from the slavery of sin. Completely free in Jesus Christ.

These Seeds of Faith have been sown by St. Paul’s Lutheran Church, Bridgeport, Nebraska. I’m Pastor Allen Strawn

No comments: